Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Hello, hello. This is a poem I wrote. It's about this guy I know at school, only the relationship I have with him is a bit odd. You can kinda get it from the poem I think.

His tough guy demeanor breaks only a little.
"I just wish one person in my family had
some decency."

We talk, exchanging sarcastic retorts,
witty comments, comparing our woes;
emotional baggage.

I watch him walking away,
trenchcoat blowing in the wind, wishing
I understood him.

We, two lost souls on paths beginning
to diverge, both through seemingly
impenetrable briars.

Digging deeper into our sarcastic retorts,
witty comments, he says he lives for
the humor.

For him it is the only constant thing,
for me the most effective defense,
we are alone.

I, living inside the system, dying a little
each day. Biding time until my
freedom.

He, lashing out, laughing at rules,
the world holds no restraint --
until it does.

He'll come back for another day,
another round, matching wits, until
he disappears.

I do not know what happened
this time. I do not know if he's
returning.

Yeah...I'm not gonna bore you with all the details of the odd relationship unless you ask.

Also, I demand comments and constructive criticism! CONSTRUCTIVE CRTICISM!!! We don't really have much of a chance to do that at the meetings. However, with this we have a chance to and we are bloody well going to take it.

Clare

Note: Edited to incorporate some of Ed's suggestion, possibly not like he meant it, but I like it!

3 comments:

Clare said...

Well, in this context I'm using it to say they can't get through the briars. Or the briars don't let anything through. Or whatever. I think you get the point.

gg said...

I would suggest using more of the present participle, it brings the poem more stongerly into the present. Something like this.

I Watch him walking away,
trenchcoat blowing in the wind, wishing I understood him.

I think it tightens it up. You can give each verse that treatment and it will be stronger when you is done.

gg said...

I like the changes. I think it sounds better already. I love being helpful.