Monday, February 27, 2006

Another poem

I'll post what I read at our last meeting for the benefit of those who did not appear.

Ohio Sunset

A campground
in the middle of a corn field.
My world is blue from light
coming through the tent.
Collected dew runs down
my arm with a touch.

The campground is coming to life.

A fat man is chopping kindling,
his rhythm like a giant sloth woodpecker,
power lines that cut through the grounds
crackle like a million bees moving at light speed,
a locomotive whistles under the horizon,
songbirds everywhere.

The children in the next lot stayed up late.
They are stirring, exploring
while their parents sleep off their Busch beer.
The kids are dirty, laughing, squealing
in different stages of dress.

I watch the unwashed munchkins
walk down to the pond.
They chase a small gaggle of ducks
while laughing and laughing and laughing
until their hungover father tells them
to shut their traps.

Just a thought

I make no bones to being a poet with anything but average talent but we was talking about revising once and I have revised this thing at least a dozen times. I even changed a few words as I was transcribing it just now. I can't stress revising enough, it's what turns a good idea into a great poem or story.

One more thing

If you are posting a poem here try and transcribe it rather than cutting and pasting it. I think as you type it in you will find words you want to add and subtract and line breaks you will want to change.

2 comments:

Clare said...

Thank you for sharing that with those of us that weren't at the meeting. (Why is everyone glaring at me.)

The imagery in your poems is really good and yet they can be almost brutally realistic (is that the phrase I'm looking for?) like with the last line of this poem.

At this point, with another person I'd say something like keep up the great work! But it'd seem kinda odd to say that to someone older than me...

Clare said...

Sorry for the double post, I don't know how to edit comments.

Anyway, I agree with you whole heartedly on revising and transscibing. I generally write long hand and then leave my poems in my notebook for a couple weeks. I take it out occasionaly, read over it, change afew things. Then I type it out and post it here, or previously, on my livejournal.

So, yep, I agree.