Monday, September 11, 2006

Flight Delayed
You stole my heart
With one innocent Grand Gesture
Before disappearing
Into an infinite plane.

I've never used so many math terms
Until I had to make you understand.
Even now I must look them up,
Though the connections are clear.

Pi equals Pie equals Poe equals Darkness
Equals Me plus You equals Love.
The equation is simple.
Do you care/dare/swear to solve it?

Your plane has doubled back
And deposited you at the beginning;
But now I myself have travelled off
Without ever moving on.

I shall return
(And hope you do the same)
When desperation and cold winds chill the heart
And only the Holly and the Ivy are green.

Never mind the presents
With bows and hearts hung high;
You're the real reason
I'm counting the days to Christmas.



The events in this poem are purely hypothetical, and should not be taken to represent obsessions the author may or may not have.

ETA: I just realised what the title could be taken as, considering the date. I did not mean it that way, but if it adds meaning for you, go for it.

2 comments:

gg said...

Excellent. I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing it.

gg said...

I especially like these two lines: "When desperation and cold winds chill the heart
And only the Holly and the Ivy are green."

Those two lines remind of the Tom Waits song November:

No care
November
It only believes
In a pile of dead leaves
And a moon
That's the color of bone


No prayers for November
To linger longer
Stick your spoon in the wall
We'll slaughter them all


November has tied me
To an old dead tree
Get word to April
To rescue me
November's cold chain


Made of wet boots and rain
And shiny black ravens
On chimney smoke lanes
November seems odd
You're my firing squad
November


With my hair slicked back
With carrion shellac
With the blood from a pheasant
And the bone from a hare


Tied to the branches
Of a roebuck stag
Left to wave in the timber
Like a buck shot flag


Go away you rainsnout
Go away, blow your brains out
November