Monday, July 24, 2006

Workshop this! I'm not sure if I really like this poem. But nobody else has posted anything and this is the first rhyming poem I've written in forever. And the whole purpose of workshopping is to make the writing better. So here ya go.

Mother dear, where are you?
Gone so many years,
The laughter has come back to me,
But then, so have the tears.

Mother dear, I'm so confused,
You were my guiding hand.
Now it is so hard to thrive,
In this increasingly darkening land.

Mother dear, I need you here,
I still cry in bed at night.
It all happened so suddenly,
You went quickly into the light.

Mother dear, come back, I plead,
I know it is in vain.
We've lost you now forever,
You'll never come back again.

I've edited it a bit but it still feels a bit too angsty instead of communicating the feeling of loss, need, and acceptence I was trying for. I started writing it (and you can see the influence in the third stanza) after rereading "Do Not Go Quickly Into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas. Only I said she went into the light and in his poem he says to "rage, rage against the dying of the light."

2 comments:

gg said...

Excellent. I look forward to printing this out and then writing suggestions all over it.

Clare said...

No kiddding about the all over it part. I guess having a really bad piece of writing is good for this. More fun, gives you more to work with.