Thursday, October 05, 2006

In response to Ed's desperate pleas, I shall post something. (Hey, all of us are in middle and high school, and you're living the luxurious life, remember that, Ed.) Hrrrm...because I have no good material right now, I'm going to use my Language Arts assignments!

First writing assignment: In summer...

In summer...I always visit my extended family in Missouri. Sometimes for a week, sometimes more. Each year, I grow more mature, so each trip is a definite eye-opener. I find ways to get along with my brother during the fourteen hour long car trip. I enjoy the mountains and other views, and gain more knowledge of wordly things; example, how to work a vending machine or just how long it takes to drive through Tennessee.

When we arrive at my aunt's house, I let the nostalgia sweep over me, as I am glad to be out of the cramped car. However, at my aunt's, not everything is perfect. An example of this was when I learned her cat, my favorite animal, had been put to sleep. Another painful time was when I visited my grandfather in his nursing home.

I savor quiet moments reading on a bed that's not my own, but I'm always ecstatic to visit my scarcely seen family. Each year, I learn a bit more about them all because I'm let in on more secrets since I'm getting older and because I'm I listen more attentively.

SIMILES AND METAPHORS
(feel free to steal one or two if you ever need one and are not feeling creative)

-My spoon was a catapult for the peas I flung at my sister.
-Our dog is a fierce warrior guarding its castle, our house.
-The hundred dollar bill was the door to my sucess.
-The embarrassing photo was a gag, not allowing Tom to tell anyone Jim's secret.

-The bird was chipper as a young child.
-The pillow was like a door to dreamland, enticing its owner to sleep.
-My puppy is like a kind smile, always cheering me up. (I do not actually have a puppy)
-Her long hair looked and felt as though it were silk.
-The clouds were like a cold, grey blanket over the sky.
-The car zoomed down the road like an odd sort of monster, emitting puffs of awful black breath.
-Grass that has grown tall will sway like waves in the sea when wind blows.
-The rain drops were like bullets as they shot from the clouds up above.

I will be posting more frequently once I start actually writing and editing all my beginning-of-the-school-year ideas. You know, the ones you come up with and elaborate on during the middle of math class...

5 comments:

Grace said...

Is this becuase I said I DIDN'T have a dog?

Matthew said...

Blog spam is smart, like pond scum.

Clare said...

Answer to how long it takes to drive through Tennesee: forever. Therefore, as you gom the number of Cracker Barrels passed approaches infinity.

Also two things I can't believe: 1. That you and Will actually managed not to kill each other on that car trip, and 2. How bloody long it takes to drive through Tennessee.

gg said...

Driving through Tenessee is crazy. Do you realize it takes less time to drive to Cleveland than to Memphis from Charlotte? It's only 8 hours to Cleveland.

I like to measure how long tunnels through mountains are when I get a chance. Try that sometime.

Thanks for posting, Grace.

Grace said...

Wow, I apparently still have zero comments..do you think something on the site is screwed up?

Anyway, you guys have to post something! Just look around and nose through some old stuff, put something up. 'S what I did. We just need to get into the habit.