Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Feeling Tired

Because of the flooding last night I didn't get a lot of sleep. OK, I'm exhausted. I wrote this in a few short sessions.

Being Tired

What did you say?
No, I am listening. Really.

It stormed and the dog couldn't sleep
he whined and wanted to play
with the cats. The cats don't like him.
He moves too fast and wants to play
all the time. Cats only play
when they decide.

When I turn my head too fast
I almost lose my balance.
I've heard lack of sleep
can cause brain damage.
I know a guy (no it's not me)
that is in a lot of trouble in the future.
He spent his thirties half asleep at work.

Occasionally when I speak I sound
unsober and confused
A quick shake and I'm out back
and lucid until it happens again.

The air conditioner sounds like
an engine room.
Outside
everything is hazy and in soft focus
What was I just doing?
How long have I been sitting here?
If turtles walked upright would
they waddle like real fat people?

A long time ago I had a good night's sleep
and it was good.

1 comment:

Clare said...

I know exactly how you feel from that poem and have felt that way myself.

Nice.