Wednesday, June 07, 2006

New stuff

OK, a friend's mother (She is a friend too. I've known her longer than I've know him) is fighting cancer and is having a rough time recently. She has been on my mind so I've written this:

1.

She sounds no different on the telephone
a voice I've heard for twelve years.
"Chris is in the bathroom,
I'll have him call you back."

I visit, she's bald like my Grandpa Ed
when he was seventy, small stragglers
of hair poking out like cactus in a desert
She's watching soap operas.

Medicine arrives by Fed Ex
a chart of medications, morning and night
she must be feeling better
mother and son bicker like before.

2.

Alive and dead
Brave and terrified
I've heard you can't fight this stuff
you just wait it out.

We're all flowers
blooming and dying.
We're bees, stinging and dying
We're cigarettes glowing
burning down to ashes,
then ground into the remains
of other cigarettes.

3.

There are cracks in the ground
outside the condominium
someday these units too, will fall.

5 comments:

Grace said...

Sometimes you just don't have a comment. It was good, yeah.

The blog was having some trouble recently, so I didn't even have a chance to beat you. Anyway, I'm really busy with other writing and my sis's b-day present. But I will get something up soon! Will and Clare want me to write something that I'd allow them to read, so I'll post it up here. Last day of school tommorow too!

gg said...

Blogger was having major trouble over a two-day period. It was frustrating.

Sorry if that was too depressing but it's what has been on my mind.

Grace said...

Hey, there's no problem with writing depressing stuff, if it helps with the depression that's bothering you. It's still fun to read anyway. Isn't it, Matthew?

Matthew said...

[comes out of hiding in shadows]

Yes, sometimes you don't have a good comment (like me, now), it's good to write about stuff that's bothering you, and I don't mind reading it at all.

(sorry for the late reply...)

Clare said...

Dude! The comments are working.

That was really good...and there's no way WE can give you a hard time about writing depressing stuff. Sometimes it needs to be said.