Thursday, June 22, 2006

Because I promised Clare that I would post it, here it is.
---

An Ode to Maggi's Teeth


Althought she appears as an innocent poet,
Confront her and you will find horrible peril.
Concealed behind her furtive lips
are threatening weapons poised to strike.
It is what keeps me awake at night:
Beware of Maggi's teeth.

Gnawing, gnashing, grinding, piercing,
Ripping, tearing, slashing, shredding.
Her sharp, pointed whiltes
are like metal daggers gleaming bright.
It is what scares the children away:
Beware of Maggi's teeth.

Under gothic dress and laughing smile
lie feral rage and cunning guile.
Do not irk her with lofty arrogance
lest she consume you in bloddy violence
It is what keeps us awake at night:
Beware of Maggi's teeth.
---

I've threatened to write that poem before, and when two lines popped into my head in the shower (the "feral rage" lines), I sat down and hammered out the poem.

5 comments:

gg said...

Thanks for sharing that. Not so hard is it?

Here's an assignment: write a more positive poem about Maggi, something about how she is supportive of writers in our group and her writing talent and how she laughs a lot. Stuff like that.

Mitch said...

I love that so much. Honestly. Thank you for posting it.

Clare said...

Hooray! Happy day! I save this somewhere now...

I just got back from Missouri yesterday, but I wil post something of my own soon...

Grace said...

*dissolves into hysterical lauhgter*

Ten minutes later...

Oh no, it's got two typos! Like that matters though...

I'll try to post something too...though not an ode to the St.Louis city museum, because it tried to kill me.

Clare said...

Heresy! The St. Louis City Museum is the most awesome place on earth! Or anywhere else!