Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Poem

I don't remember if I posted this here already or not but it has been revised a little bit so I guess it really doesn't matter. Changes have been to my grammar mistakes.

The Break In

A broken pane,
a window unlocked from the outside.
Empty spaces where
familiar belongings sat.
Here there was an Xbox.
Here there was a box of DVDs.
Here, in this coffee cup, I had cash.
Here, on this rack, I had CDs.
Once I owned the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
(expanded edition)
Now I don't have disk one.

Not a single book stolen.

The October night blows in through
the desecrated back window.
It's an unfriendly wind
we shouldn't feel inside.
Inside it should be candles
blankets and beer.
Now it's police, a chill
and fear.

2 comments:

Mitch said...

"CDs" and "DVDs" should not contain apostrophes, as they are plural and not possessive, and it saddens me to see a librarian making such a common mistake. :-(

I like the poem, though. The last stanza is wonderful.

gg said...

I've always done it that way. I don't know why.